One of the Last Farms

The Kramer farm at 77th and Penn was one of the last to operate in Richfield. Minneapolis Star Photo by Roy Swan

Margaret Kramer, a widow, held the most valuable piece of remaining Richfield farm property, forty acres at the intersection of Penn Avenue South and the proposed Interstate 494. Kramer came to Richfield in 1904 and had no intention of leaving. She specialized in truck farming with the assistance of her daughters Laura, Helen, Margaret, and Marie. Seven years after the 1958 news story, the Kramers’ venerable farmstead made front page news in the Minneapolis Star. Developers announced plans for a fourteen-story, one-million square foot commercial and residential complex on the Kramer farm.

The Crossroads at Penn apartments replaced the farmstead. The Kramer family planned to build a new home on the corner of the farm at West 76th Street and Sheridan Avenue South.

The Kramer sisters retired from farming in 1967. (Click to read the story article.)

Crossroads at Penn was built on the Kramer Farm.

 

This entry was posted in History and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.